WHAT TO READ: WINTER EDITION
Winter is here.
It's winter hiatus for the majority of television shows (excluding midseason shows, Netflix, and Amazon Prime shows of course), so it's a great time to snuggle up with a good book!
Below, I've included some recent books that dropped in 2017, one that debuted a while back, and a couple that are getting a January and a February release! I also have a few bonus books to add to your list if it's your jam! So grab your hot latte (or cup of hot chocolate), blanket, and see below for my winter reading list!
The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine
Published: October 17, 2017
Genre: Psychological Fiction, Thriller, Suspense
Length: 400 pages
First one up is of course from none other than Reese Witherspoon's Book Club! It's their December book club pick, The Last Mrs. Parrish by Liv Constantine (the pen name of two sisters, Lynne Constantine and Valerie Constantine)!
"With shocking turns and dark secrets that will keep you guessing until the very end, The Last Mrs. Parrish is a fresh, juicy, and utterly addictive thriller from a diabolically imaginative talent." (Harpercollins)
I love a good thriller novel, especially anything dealing with the psychological aspect and women! I can't wait to dive into this one!
The Floating World by C. Morgan Babst
Published: October 17. 2017
Genre: Fiction, Historical Fiction
Length: 384 pages
This so called haunting debut novel by C. Morgan Babst (a New Orleans native who evacuated one day before the storm) takes us right smack dab in the middle of Hurricane Katrina and the beautiful city of New Orleans!
"Set in New Orleans, this important and powerful novel follows the Boisdoré family in the months after Hurricane Katrina. A profound, moving and authentically detailed picture of the storm's emotional impact on those who lived through it." (People)
As a Louisiana girl, I can remember Hurricane Katrina like it was yesterday. I was still living in Louisiana at the time, going to school. I can't wait to read C. Morgan Babst's fictitious account of the aftermath of this unforgettable storm and moment in time.
The Dry by Jane Harper
Published: January 10, 2017
Genre: Fiction, Mystery
Length: 326 pages
"A small town hides big secrets in The Dry, an atmospheric, page-turning debut mystery by award winning author, Jane Harper." (Goodreads)
Winner of the 2017 Indie Book Award for Debut Fiction and Book of the Year, I remember Reese Witherspoon mentioning this book a while back. She actually optioned the movie rights to the book. I finally got my copy and started reading it! I'm still making my way through it, but I'm really enjoying it so far!
Make sure to add this New York Times bestseller to your list if mystery is your jam! (See below for details on Jane Harper's newest novel too!)
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Published: May 14, 2013
Length: 477 pages
Americanah is a love story of race and identity of a Nigerian woman who emigrates to the U.S.
This is the third novel from award winning novelist, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie! This particular novel won the 2013 National Book Critics Circle Fiction award! Some of you may have already read this one, but just in case you haven't yet, I wanted to highlight it this time around for my winter reads!
Brad Pitt's award winning production company, Plan B, has the movie rights to the novel as of 2014. I actually haven't read this one yet by Adichie. I'm looking forward to finally reading this novel before the end of winter!
New Winter Books Dropping in 2018:
Force of Nature by Jane Harper
- Hits bookshelves on February 6, 2018! (Pre-order below!)
- Another Jane Harper novel on the list! The main character in her debut novel (The Dry), Federal Police Agent Aaron Falk, is back in this newest installment, which follows five women on a hike but only four of them return. It's another mystery novel, and fans of The Dry are sure to love this one as well!
The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani
- Hits bookshelves on January 9, 2018! (Pre-order below!)
- The Perfect Nanny is "a riveting exploration of power, class, race, domesticity, and motherhood -- and the debut in America of an immensely talented writer." (Goodreads)
The Dead Man Chronicles: RIFT by Ellis E. Fowler
- My good friend, Ellis Fowler, released the second book in his Dead Man Chronicles series! Check out this newest installment on sale now!
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
- New York Times bestselling author Gillian Flynn (and author of one of my favorite books ever, Gone Girl) released Sharp Objects back in 2006 before her big hit, Gone Girl. HBO has now adapted this one into a miniseries (similar to their big hit, Big Little Lies)!
- This one will star Oscar nominee Amy Adams and will be released in June 2018. If you're the type that likes to read novels before their adaptations, give this one a try before it premieres!
Also, check out all of the good deals on books on Amazon and always check your local library for books as well! You'd be surprised at the great selection the library offers (even e-books)! :)
Happy reading!! :)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All opinions and recommendations are our own.