WHAT TO READ: SPRING EDITION
I'm a little late, but it's spring y'all -- and I've got a pep in my step, a song on my tongue, and an iced coffee in my hand! :) I love spring. New blooms, sunny days, I don't look too crazy drinking my iced coffees (I'm legit the girl with the iced coffee in hand, even when it's 40 degrees out! Ha!).
With spring comes new beginnings -- including a whole new list of books (some are in stores now and a few others will drop later this season) to take with us to the park, the beach, on our weekend trips -- 'cause SPRING Y'ALL! :) It's packed with thrillers (my fave!), a YA fantasy novel (book one in a series), a short story collection, and a comedy! I also have some bonus reads if you're able to sneak them into your day. :)
So grab that (hopefully cold and iced) coffee or latte, and check out my recs and a few that will be on my reading list for this spring!! (There are too many good ones to list -- these are just a few that I think you should check out!)
THEN SHE WAS GONE
by Lisa Jewell
PUBLISHED: April 17, 2018
GENRE: Suspense, Thriller
LENGTH: 368 Pages
"The missing daughter, the devastated mom, the new boyfriend, and the shock they never saw coming." (Book of the Month club)
If you're a Lisa Jewell fan or a fan of thrillers in general, make sure you get a copy of Then She Was Gone. The missing daughter plot is intriguing, but I think it's Jewell's writing style, the multiple character POVs, and the twists that'll keep you hooked.
I'm excited to finally dive into this one. I've heard great things about this story, the characters, and the way Jewell weaves it all together!
For the reader who enjoyed Lisa Jewell's previous books and likes a good thriller told from multiple perspectives, check this one out if you haven't yet!
HEADS OF THE COLORED PEOPLE: STORIES
by Nafissa Thompson-Spires
PUBLISHED: April 10, 2018
GENRE: Humorous Fiction
LENGTH: 224 Pages
"A stunning new talent in literary fiction, Nafissa Thompson-Spires grapples with black identity and the contemporary middle class in these compelling, boundary pushing vignettes." (Amazon)
This story collection is the debut book from Thompson-Spires and is said to be witty, humorous, satirical, and a fun read! I admire someone who can tell a story with very few words, and this story collection book sounds engrossing.
For the reader who loves short stories, make sure to grab a copy of this collection!
IT ENDS WITH HER
by Brianna Labuskes
PUBLISHED: April 1, 2018
GENRE: Thriller, Police Procedural
LENGTH: 300 Pages
I recently finished the television show The Killing on Netflix. Ever since wrapping that one up, I've been on the search for a good detective/thriller story with some good character development and interesting arcs. I think I may have found it in this book.
It Ends With Her follows FBI detective Clarke Sinclair as she tracks and tries to take down serial killer Simon Cross.
I haven't really read much in the police procedural genre (I love those types of television shows though), so I'm excited for Brianna Labuskes writing. A female detective hunting a serial killer -- I can't wait to snuggle up tonight and start reading it!
For the reader who loves a game of cat and mouse, detective stories, and suspense, add this one to your list!
CHILDREN OF BLOOD AND BONE
by Tomi Adeyemi
PUBLISHED: March 6, 2018
GENRE: YA, Fantasy
LENGTH: 537 Pages
"This Instant #1 New York Times best seller, Children of Blood and Bone, is the first installment in a YA West African Fantasy about a girl who must fight against the monarchy to bring magic back to her people." (tomiadeyemi.com)
Already optioned for its film rights in one of the biggest sales (seven-figure deal), 23-year old Tomi Adeyemi's debut novel is being called the "black Harry Potter" and is sure to be a fun fantasy ride.
For the reader who loves fantasy, enriched characters, and loves to dive into a series (this is book one in a series), get Children of Blood and Bone now!
THE PERFECT MOTHER
by Aimee Molloy
PUBLISHED: May 1, 2018
GENRE: Psychological Thriller
LENGTH: 336 Pages
"An addictive psychological thriller about a group of women whose lives become unexpectedly connected when one of their newborns goes missing." (Amazon)
I love a good thriller book (hence why there are so many on my list)! It's actually my favorite genre to read. :) And I enjoy reading novels when I know they're being adapted too. This thriller is being adapted into a movie soon and it's set to star Kerry Washington! :)
For the reader who enjoys a page-turner psychological thriller, a strong female driven premise, and reading books before seeing the film version, grab Aimee Molloy's debut fiction novel!
New Books Dropping Later This Spring:
OUR KIND OF CRUELTY by Araminta Hall
- Hits bookshelves on May 8, 2018! (Pre-order below!)
- “This is simply one of the nastiest and most disturbing thrillers I’ve read in years. In short: I loved it, right down to the utterly chilling final line.” - Gillian Flynn (author of Gone Girl!) - What an endorsement! Yep, I'm definitely reading this one!
THE FAVORITE SISTER by Jessica Knoll
- Hits bookshelves on May 15, 2018! (Pre-order below!)
- The follow-up to Jessica Knoll's debut novel (and a Reese Book Club pick), Luckiest Girl Alive, comes another thriller, this time about the invisible barriers that prevent women from rising up the ranks in today’s America—and offers a scathing take on the oft-lionized bonds of sisterhood, and the relentless pressure to stay young, relevant, and salable." (Amazon)
GLITCH by Elisabeth Cohen
- Hits bookshelves on May 22, 2018! (Pre-order below!)
- "A fast, funny, deeply hilarious debut--The Glitch is the story of a high-profile, TED-talking, power-posing Silicon Valley CEO and mother of two who has it all under control, until a woman claiming to be a younger version of herself appears, causing a major glitch in her over-scheduled, over-staffed, over-worked life." (Amazon)
HOW TO GET SH*T DONE by Erin Falconer
- "Erin's here to teach women how to let go of limiting emotions, and expectations, embrace their inner free spirits, and start doing less but achieving more." (book cover)
HEART TALK by Cleo Wade
- Poetic Wisdom for a Better Life -- "creative inspiration and life lessons through poetry, mantras, and affirmations, perfect for fans of the bestseller Milk & Honey." (Amazon)
In Case you Missed it:
AN AMERICAN MARRIAGE by Tayari Jones
- A love story and a stinging indictment of society's injustice.
- An Oprah Book Club 2.0 pick, this lovely novel hit stands back in January! But just in case you missed it, check it out!
Let me know if any of these fancy your interest or if you've already read some of these! I'd love to know what you're currently reading and what's on your spring reading list too. :)
Also, check out all of the good deals on books on Amazon and always check your local library for books as well! You'd be surprised at the great selection the library offers (even e-books)! :)
Happy reading!! :)
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All opinions and recommendations are our own.