Fall TV is here!!
After watching the Emmys last weekend and seeing all of the wins, I'm so ready for this year's fall tv schedule! The lists you'll find below are comprised of a few of my returning faves, some newbies, a couple of maybes, and some bonus content I might watch (btw, can I get a hell yeah for Donald Glover (Atlanta), Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us), Riz Ahmed (The Night Of), Aziz Ansari & Lena Waithe (Master of None), and Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies) for their recent Emmy wins)!
First, I have to preface this by saying this list only contains some of the scripted shows I'm watching, excluding Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon (I'll list those in another post later on) -- and is just network and cable tv!
Also, I have to admit upfront, I'm usually -- not always -- "on top" of all of the hit tv shows. As mentioned previously in my Game of Thrones post a while back, I'm often "late to the party" when it comes to tv (movies are a different story though). ;) I often find myself behind the times, so to speak. I try to do my best to stay on top of what's new and what's good on tv, but I like to keep my watching load slim (believe it or not) -- and I tend to let go of shows easily, especially if the writing has fallen off. A big example of this is a show I absolutely loved, Scandal.
Let me explain it to you real quick -- I've been a fan of creator Shonda Rhimes since 2005 -- yes, you read that right (ever since Grey's Anatomy came on the scene). Shonda helped to change the whole network game, in a way. I loved Scandal. It used to be "must see tv" ...in my opinion. But around season 4 or 5, it started to become too much -- and I think those of you who have seen this show know what I mean when I say this.
Anyway, I absolutely did not want to stop watching it. I, of course, wanted to support my girl Kerry Washington and Shonda Rhimes (I'm excited for her big move from ABC to Netflix as well)! But I just couldn't really watch that particular show anymore. However, since season 7 is its last season, I might catch some of it to see how it all wraps up.
That's just one small example of a show I loved, and really...really wanted to keep supporting -- but ultimately decided to let it go because it became to bizarre for me.
As mentioned, I like to keep my tv watch load slim, if possible, while also keeping up with all of the great content. I mean, let's be real, there's so much great content out there to choose from and it's just not possible to watch it all -- especially when you add in all of the shows on Netflix and Hulu (both of these streaming services picked up Emmys recently for Master of None and The Handmaid's Tale).
So, I just had to throw all of that out there before I tell you a few scripted shows that are currently on my watchlist for this fall season.
The summer gave us some good tv! Game of Thrones (GoT) was the most important show of the summer though, let's be honest, and I'm glad I finished up the other seasons beforehand so I was able to watch GoT this season in real time with everyone else! What a ride that was -- loved it! Insecure also premiered and wrapped up this summer, and I also began watching The Handmaid's Tale as well (on Hulu).
I recently wrapped up the Jessica Biel starrer, The Sinner, on the USA Network too (it had some great moments, but overall, I wasn't too fond of this one, for various reasons. (I'm happy for Jessica though!)
So now that summer is over, and we have to wait for what seems like forever until the next and final season of GoT, here's what I plan on watching (returning, newbies, maybes, and bonus ones) on network and cable tv this fall (scripted shows only here folks!):
NETWORK & CABLE TV WATCHLIST: MY TOP 5!
Returning Top 5:
- This Is Us (NBC) - season 2 premieres on September 26th:
- This is by far the one show I'm looking forward to the most this fall. I mean, duh! :) I'm so excited to see the direction the show goes throughout this new season and the incredible performances from the cast -- including 2x Emmy winner, Sterling K. Brown! (And will we finally know Jack's ultimate fate?!)
- Jane the Virgin (CW) - season 4 premieres on October 13th:
- Now I know this one might not be on everybody's list, but I'm a true Gina Rodriguez (Jane) fan and respect her talents and love love love this cast as a whole! And Jaime Camil is just too funny in this as well! I'm looking forward to seeing the continuation of Jane's journey! AND Gina is actually directing an episode this season as well! I can't wait!!
- The Walking Dead (AMC) - season 8 premieres on October 22nd:
- I, like a lot of people, started to lose a little hope for this show after last season. There was so much potential and various directions the writers could've went in and we hardly even saw certain beloved characters throughout the whole season -- but I haven't lost all hope yet. Season 8, please don't disappoint! :)
- Mr. Robot (USA Network) - season 3 premieres on October 11th:
- I'm here for Rami Malek. He kills it in this show, and it's written really well! It hasn't gotten too, too crazy for me yet! ;)
- Grey's Anatomy (ABC) - season 14 premieres on September 28th:
- 14 seasons! Wow! I've been with this show since the beginning (after a brief hiatus after Dr. Preston Burke left the show). I'm hoping this season is worth the watch!
- Scandal (ABC) - season 7 (and its last season) premieres on October 5th.
- How to Get Away with Murder (ABC) - premieres on September 28th.
- Black-ish (ABC) - season 4 premieres on October 3rd:
- This is a show I like to watch randomly, and when I do, it never disappoints. The comedy and writing is so good!
- The Good Place (NBC) - season 2 premiered on September 20th:
- I might finally give this show a shot. I've been hearing great things about it.
- Stranger Things (Netflix) - season 2 premieres on October 27th:
- I know this isn't a network or cable tv show (and I know I mentioned earlier that I wasn't going to mention Netflix in this post, whoops) -- BUT I had to mention it on here, 'cause...I mean, hello...STRANGER THINGS y'all!! :) I'm so excited for season 2!
(I'm going to try to give these newbies, listed below, a shot. This list may grow or shrink depending on how much I like them and/or what other shows come up that might garner my interest.)
- Star Trek: Discovery (CBS) - series premiere, September 24th:
- Set about a decade before the events of the original Star Trek series -- it "explores the Federation-Klingon cold war while following the crew of the USS Discovery.*"
- The Good Doctor (CBS) - series premiere, September 25th:
- The show follows "a young autistic surgeon who has savant syndrome as he joins the surgical unit at a prestigious hospital.*"
- White Famous (Showtime) - series premiere, October 15th:
- "A young black comedian rises among the ranks of the stand-up world and braces for 'break-out' fame*"
That about wraps up some of the shows that are currently on my watchlist for this upcoming (fall) episodic season. The list excludes all of the Netflix goodness (except for my Stranger Things shoutout)! I'll be posting about the whole Netflix phenomena later though!
But until then -- what's on your watchlist?! Let me know on Instagram! I always want to know what people are watching and what's good and new -- and as always, check my "CURRENTLY LIST" on the sidebar on the blog to keep up with what I'm currently watching!